Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Shout out to Dads




haha - I doubt many (if any) fathers read this blog, besides my own, but even then it is worth saying it for his ears, because what I'm about to say totally applies to him in every way.

Yesterday I was at Target, and when I left, I saw the cutest thing.  It was a dad and his small son walking to the car.  I imagine the man's wife had sent him to get something for her, and he decided to take his son with him.   They were just talking, having man time, and it was so cute.

On the flip side, a few months ago I was in the Huston airport, and I saw something that broke my heart.  I was by myself - so this warranted a little people watching. I was eating lunch in the food court.  To my left was a father and his 12-14 year old son eating lunch.  They were obviously in transit somewhere.  It would have been a perfect time for the father and the son to talk, to just catch up on life and hang out, but the father was continually distracted by his Blackberry.  The son would try to start a conversation, but the father would just say one word, then look at his Blackberry again.  Oh what this fast paced world has done to families!  Gone are the days of fishing leisurely on a Saturday afternoon, a dad working with his son in the workshop - imparting wisdom.  We are often far too distracted by sports, Blackberries, internet, etc.  

BUT...this post is not meant to point out the woes of modern society.  I just say what I did above to point out how the way society has turned breaks my heart.  I'm such a family-lover to the core, that when I see families torn apart by technology, business, or anything, it literally breaks my heart.  What I do want to do is say a huge THANK YOU to dads out there that are faithfully raising their kids with love, firmness, leadership, and diligence.  I feel like TV ads, movies, and shows often hail the wonders of a good mom, and well they should, but always show the father to be a doofus.  What a tragedy!  That is what I'm learning is called "the feminization of culture."  We've forgotten what a strong father figure looks like.  Thank you fathers who go to God's Word for strength when you feel week, who beg God to to teach you how to be a godly father, who intentionally spend time with your kids, and turn off your Blackberries at the dinner table.  You have no idea what a difference you are making! 

 I say this because I had the privilege of growing up with a father of excellence.  He taught me so much.  He taught me to play guitar, counseled me with me when life was hard, took me on breakfast dates every week, was very strong, but not afraid to be vulnerable when he knew I needed it.  He sometimes said hard things because he saw my potential when I didn't.  There is so many more things my dad did - but suffice it to say, he is awesome.  He looks to God to show him how to be a great father and husband, and I respect that so much.

I will just  close with saying it again: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU dads (especially my dad) for what you do.  You have so much power that maybe goes unmentioned - and when you use that for your families and God's glory, it is one of the most honorable things ever.  Our culture makes being a good dad so hard, but thank you for persevering.  Christ is shown in you!

1 comment:

It's A Wonderful Life said...

Awwwww! We did have the best dad! You forgot that he taught at English and writing too :-) Plus a bunch of random life things... I love our daddy!!!!