Thursday, March 11, 2010

Love Story, Chapter One

I'm getting married to the love of my life, and my best friend, Jake Hatfield :)

As all good love stories go, there is always a back story.

Ever since I got to Bryan College as a Freshman, I had a huge desire to be an R.A. I love mentoring girls, and thought having a hall-full of Freshman girls someday sounded like pure heaven.

So when I was in my second semester of my Sophomore year, I applied. I got through the group interview, and then through the individual interview - and I thought everything went peachy! All my friends were saying "You got this Becky - you'll be a great R.A." All my previous RA's were recommending me, even my professors were throwing in good words for me. You get the picture. I thought I had this one in the bag :)

Then came the day when it was time to find out whether or not you "made it" as an R.A. I went to meet with my RD, and by the look on her face, I knew it was not good. "Becky, I'm sorry, but we did not select you to be an RA." "Ok." I gulped back the tears. I had wanted this so bad! Now my plan of being an RA my Junior and Senior year of college had crumbled. I had no explanation.

One of my friends, Mark Baker, said, "Becky, God must be up to something, because this is just too weird." It was too weird! If everyone I had ever known, trusted, and respected had recommended me for this position, why would it slip through my hands? I had no explanation, and frankly, was a little upset at God for taking this opportunity away from me. But eventually, I was able to surrender it to him and trust that his plan was better. haha - I had no idea!

Because I did not get the RA position, it opened up my Junior year a bit. I had heard some speakers from the Focus on the Family Institute come and speak at Bryan, and was always so moved and impressed. All of a sudden, I kept thinking about the idea of spending a semester at "the Institute." Plus, I have always LOVED Colorado. It sounded like quite the adventure. I felt a need to spend some time away from Bryan and reconnect with God as well. My thought was, "I might not make one friend while I'm there, but if I can just read, soak up information, and just have 'Becky and God' time all semester, I'll be perfectly happy." Once again...I had no idea :)

January 19th, in the Spring of 2009, I find myself in the lobby of the Drury Inn in Colorado Springs, ready for my FFI adventure. As I ate breakfast with my parents, I looked across the room to see a very attractive guy sitting by himself looking out the window to Pike's Peak. "Oh my gosh." I thought to myself. "That guy is so cute. I hope my husband looks like that someday." haha - ironic :) As soon as that thought passed through my mind, he started confidently chatting with the neighboring table: "I'm going to the Focus on the Family Institute!" He said. "Oh my word," I thought. No way. My parents overheard the conversation as well, and encouraged me to go talk to him. "I can't." I just froze. "I'm sure I'll meet him there." I said shakily. "Are you kidding me?" I thought. "THIS guy is going to be in my class?!" All of a sudden, confident Becky was gone.

When I got to my apartment complex that I would be living in all semester, I stepped out to find the same young man ready and waiting to help me with my bags. "Hey! My name's Jake!" He said. "Hey, I'm Becky." I was SO nervous! "What's wrong with me?!" I thought. "Get yourself together!"

To be continued...

5 comments:

The Porter Family said...

How CUTE! I'm loving reading your love story....congratulations Becky!!! I'm SOOOOOO happy for you.

Ash Hope said...

LOVE this Becks! But as I promised...here Ash is to hold you accountable to finishing this story (or at least Chapter 2 for us!)

:D Love you!

kookielbs said...

Um Hello???!! Where is the next part?

James Holt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James Holt said...

My face hurts from grinning so much while reading this :)