Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A Time of Training

Ever since I've been home from FFI, my question has been, "Lord, I just experienced the most amazing, equipping semester of my life.  And here I am.  Home.  Doing online classes.  Now what Lord???!!!"  I've definitely been bit by "the restless bug" again, longing for some great assignment from my Master.  Recently, I've had clarity from my King about what this time at home means and why it is so important.

The clarity came from 1 Corinthians 9:24-27:

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training.  They do it to get a crow that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.  Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly;  I do not fight like a man beating the air.  No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified from the prize."

I italicized "strict training", because the Lord is show me that that is where he has me.  How am I supposed to run in a way to get the prize when I'm not even in shape?!  This summer so far has been such a valuable time of one-on-one training with Rabbi Jesus.  He's teaching me how to spend my time wisely, how to manage my finances, what quality time with Him looks like, how to pray, how to just sit and meditate on his Word - the list is endless!  It makes me so excited to know that this summer isn't just a meaningless "holding time" where I just have to make it through.  This summer is such a valuable, crucial time.  

Other words of encouragement have come in the form of In the Shadow of the Almighty - the Life and Testament of Jim Elliot.  Wow!  God has encouraged me so much by reading about this incredible man of faith and how he lived his short 28 years with the passion and vigor most people don't find in their entire life.  How I long to live my life for God in this way!  Here is my shameless plug: read this book!  Your life will never be the same.

 

No comments: